Tuesday, January 30, 2007

F.Wish - Wishing Tree




For my first blog entry, I looked into F.Wish by Folly and Boredom Research. This work is based on Asian tradition of people hanging notes filled with their wishes on trees that are near temples or shrines. The developers began their work from researching the history of the wishing trees, mainly on Lam Tsuen Wishing Trees of Hong Kong. They worked with softwares called Processing and Director to create this online project.

The background color and the lines which form the branches of the tree reminded me of the Chinese calligraphy. The oranges with pink strings and notes are attached to the branches. In Hong Kong, people write their wishes on the notes which are attached to the oranges and hang them over the branches. If you click and drag the pink notes, people’s wish will be shown. The letters appear from the orange and form the original wish on the gridlines on the bottom. You can leave your wishes by typing while the gridline is empty. The letters will appear from the bottom. When done, you click it so it changes into the orange with a pink note. Along with that, the arrow will appear and you have to aim for the tree nodes. If you threw you wish well and it hangs over the tree people will be able to see your wish. If not, you have to try again.

I liked this work because I could really relate to this artwork due to my Asian origin. I read the review from Furtherfield Review and had couple of questions about the physics and libraries mentioned by the developers. They mentioned a few such as traer.physics, and Michael Chang’s Vector Library. I followed the links to see what they are but I got more confused. I am still not sure but it sounded like rather than drawing the whole scene, they used programming code to get it done. They could have used other softwares such as Flash. Overall, I liked the idea of bringing wishing tree online and how it looks. Can't wait to learn how these are made and working.


===============================================

Furtherfield Review on F.Wish
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=202
F.Wish/Folly
http://www.folly.co.uk/wish

No comments: